Summer Courses in Marine Sciences
MAR-S 104 Oceanography
Stony Brook Southampton, Summer 2013
July 9 - 22
Students will examine the World Ocean and the chemical, geological, and physical processes that control its major features and the life that inhabits it, as well as explore human interactions with the marine environment. This intensive course is specifically designed for motivated high school students wishing to earn college credit, but current undergraduates can also enroll. The short-term course will run for 2 weeks and meet for 4-5 hours each weekday. Content will be delivered via lectures, in- class activities, and 2 boat trips in which students will explore nearby coastal habitats using oceanographic sampling equipment. Students must have completed high school biology and be at least 16 years old.
To enroll, visit http://www.stonybrook.edu/summer/highschool.shtml. Enrollment begins April 10.
Starting April 10, visiting students can sign up for housing on the Stony Brook Main Campus through University Conference Housing. To register, please use the following instructions:
- 1) In the drop down menu, select SOUTHAMPTON OCEANOGRAPHY 2013
- 2) Enter 095 for the Conference Code
- 3) The Conference Cost will be calculated once the room type is selected.
- 4) Read through the Youth Conference description and policies & procedures. Be sure to sign and mail the 2 required documents.
- 5) Be aware that while $14/day is the minimum meal plan, we recommend that you consider $20/day
- 6) Transportation will be provided to and from the Southampton Campus.
For most recent course cost, visit http://www.stonybrook.edu/summer/tuition.shtml
Estimated costs are ~$900 for 3 credit, in-state tuition and optional ~ $700 for 13 days of room and board
Click here for the most recent course syllabus
For questions about the course content or schedule, contact Kurt.Bretsch@stonybrook.edu